Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bad (media) habits are hard to break.

Like many others, the introduction of media hubs on the Internet has made my media habits change dramatically. Sites, which review, preview and sometimes allow users to watch and play video games and television shows have been gaining in popularity in the recent past. Sites like ign began with reviewing video games but expanded into comics, movies, television, music and even cars. These media hubs have changed the way that I have processed my media information as I can now go to one place to digest all the information I need. My media habits have evolved due to school and other time constraints that have pushed me closer to these media hubs that allow the users to quickly see the day's most important or popular stories. Digg, for example, allows users to see the big stories fast but also allows users to ‘bury’ pointless articles that hold little importance. The problem which grows with this movement is that you are only seeing the views of the world threw the Internet’s rose goggles which can often focus more on technology then world events and news. With that in mind I do only use media hubs as a quick form of information but in the future I hope to expand my media scope my reading and watching more news so I can learn of more world events and at least see what is being broad casted by the journalistic media. In the end though, i love media hubs as they allow me to see the information i want without spending much time.

No comments: